Saturday, January 8, 2011

thechurch

St. Joseph Catholic church was probably99 years old when it burned down about 20 years ago(?)  I only have two fond memories: the one was singing in the all boys choir  at Mass on Christmas eve and although the music was in Latin in was an arrangement just for Christmas.  The word Christmas actually is shortened from the catholic Christ Mass.  I started to sing in the choir in second grade and they would phase us out when in 7th of 8th grade our voices started to change(deepen) and those melodic pure high notes would have crackling noises because us older kids could not reach and sustain high notes.
The Choir sang in the back of the church in a balcony reached by a narrow spiral stair case.  The loft also is where the organ was.  I think it was electric compressor powered and the 2 foot petals were to control volume.  I think it was a small pipe organ.
The othere fond memory was the life size nativity display in front, on the right side.  Real pine trees and branches covered up the small alter behind and light bulb size blue lights were woven amoungst the pines,  It actually had a spiritual feeling to it. 
The front of catholic church's had a large marble altar(spirals and all) in the center than was used for all masses.  an altar with statues were on the left and right;  one statue was of Joseph, Mary's husband and the other side had a statue of Mary.  Of course, all along the sides were the "stations of the Cross," pictures of Christ suffering and death.  Morbid, indeed. Also, in the middle of the sides were booths where you went to "confession."
Other  day my brother Bill asked me if I remember "breaking" into the church.  We went up to the choir loft, and, since I had accordion lessons, I fired up the organ and began to play,  Out of nowhere came the "Bear" and Bill said she grabbed my arm so hard he was certain she was going to throw me over the side, as she yanked me off of the organ seat.  This, of course, is NOT a fond memory and I really don't have any respect for the nun's who taught me except one, in my senior year.  I attended St. Micheal's High School from 10th through 12 grades, as we had moved away from Brackenridge.  I will relate at a later time what I did there, but one thing I know for sure is I cannot remember what the inside of the church looked like, which was across the street from the High School (the grade school was about a mile down the street)  I suppose my mind goes blank about the church is that I was already starting to question the truthfulness of catholic doctrine and rituals as being bogus and with no true history to support their claims  Side note:  I was a "patrol boy" which means I wore a while banner with a badge:  our duty was to stop traffic and keep kids from getting hit, as they walked across the street to the school.  We were rewarded with a trip to Kennywood Amusement Park for our services.  During recess and lunch, the entire street(Garfield) was blocked off with long, yellow saw horses  to car traffic, so the street was our "playground," minus any playground equipment. We tried to play baseball but we kept denting to many parked cars!  So we made up our own games.

No comments:

Post a Comment