Thursday, January 6, 2011

5 yrs old-kill the kid.

a break from religion.  when i was 5 it was determined by the medical experts to have your kid's tonsil's removed.  Bill didn't; i did.  What a terrifying experience.  Allegheny Valley Hospital, my Alma mater. Either. those bastards.  i was wheeled in and a cloth was put over my eyes-so I could not see the @#%$@# whop put the triangle rubber piece over my mouth and nose to put me to sleep.  I struggled; they held me down."Just breathe deeply. Right. A poisonous, flammable gas to knock me out and which would give me a raw, sore throat for a week.  only good thing was visitors that came usually gave me money, even Father Casey-the beerdrinkin', smokin' speed boat "race up and down the river."  Usually on Sunday's, after church.  The last straw was his pennant flag of a shadow of a sexy pin-up.  The parishioners demanded he take it off  I know: he bought 3 boats from dad Because of complications-i was bleeding to death-i was in the hospital about a week.  Because they dragged me back into surgery(i was awake this time). They worked  a rubber tube, with string inside, into each nostril, then tied it in my throat.  They put a roll of gauze against by nose to catch any drops of blood.  Dad went "up the avenue" to buy bent glass straws for me to drink liquids from.  Got them from the only drug store. Plastic had not been invented yet.  How bad was it? I was vomiting globs of congealed blood in the toilet constantly.  Either stop it or die from blood loss.  The tonsils are part of the lympathich system to ward of infection.  Of course, when they become inflamed and swollen, it is hard to swallow and talk.  MY tonsils were OK and did not get infections-my parents were just told to yank them out by the doctor. jerk.  Side not Father Casey was the only Catholic priest granddad liked; he was walking to the doctor's for a check up and Casey was walking the other way and ask where he was going.  Then Casey told him,"Save your $5.00 dollars Frank;  I'll give you a five dollar blessing for two bucks."  Granddad never went to church with Grandma till towards the end of his life.  His hatred of the clergy was from when he fought in WW I in Europe, especially in war torn Italy. People were dying of starvation in the bombed out cities and being hung to death by Mussolini,the dictator on par with Hitler, (who I share a birthday with) but no matter how scarce was food, the priest always ate "fat off the hog." Granddad saw no justice in this as a "man of God," should be feeding the people, especially the children, not eating like a pig with death all around him.Next trauma: Skiing in the winter Olympics, when I was eight years old-on clamp on roller skates. holding pieces of wood, as I went around a support pole in grandma's basement.  Which is why I didn't have to go into the Army during the Vietnam War and end up with my name on a black granite wall.  As I always say, "nothing happens in God's world by accident-it is for a purpose. I'll explain later.

No comments:

Post a Comment