Tuesday, January 18, 2011

boose

One day, dad told bill  and I to hop in the car(probably the old green Chevy), that he wanted to show us something-of a surprise.  I don't know which house or even what town it was, but there was our surprise to pick: a cocker spaniel puppy. There were two maybe three.  I know there was a light color blond one and a reddish hair one. We picked the red one.  Don't know why, we just did.  He was not allowed in the house;  mom got nervous when grand kids were in the house(but not her pet cats), so dad built a dog house under the big apple tree and boose was given a length of chain that went from his collar to the house. I know his name was short for caboose, the end car of a series of trains.  I remember he was a good dog, playful and kept himself clean.  Shortly after we got him, tragedy struck: he got distemper and it was gut wrenching to see him dying.  He could not keep down water and that"s about all that came out.  So he had to be "Put to sleep," but in Brackenridge back then, you did not take him to a vet; you took him to the police station.  I think my dad told me the "how" and if I wanted to go: NO. They put an animal in a box and hooked a hose from it to the police car exhaust.  You can pretty much visualize the rest.  We did go back and buy the "blond" puppy but he was just not the same.  He kept himself pretty dirty and jumped at the chance to eat anything of plastic.  We had no attachment to him and I don't know whatever became of him-probably was donated to some farm.  From a happy surprise to a sad ending.  We never has another dog for a pet as kids.  Side Note: More people are bitten by Cocker Spaniels than that of any other breed.  In case you are thinking of getting one for a family pet!  The only other "pet," were mom's Persian cats, championship bloodlines, of course. And the one I liked at all, was "Puff.

No comments:

Post a Comment